There is a lemon tree that grows on my back patio.  It has had some rough years in the past – including one in which prolonged freezing temperatures seemed to have killed it.  Prior to this year it had produced one lemon a couple of years ago.  However, this year, thanks to I am sure in part to last year’s mild winter it produced twenty lemons.  So with a relative surfeit of lemons this year I decided to try to make preserved lemons. Following a combination of a recipe (this one from Food in Jars)  and advice from friends (making sure the lemons were covered by juice at the end of day 2), I have started a jar of preserved lemons.  I should know in about three weeks whether or not it was a success.


This picture was taken when I first started the process.